Thursday, March 13, 2014

Rabbit Release ... Farewell Little Friend!

I did not expect to see the little rabbit alive this morning! I had a look at him and although he had some obvious problems with his back legs I couldn't see any other injuries.  I would guess this guy was no more than 5 weeks old and was no more than 3 inches long. Having no previous rabbit rescue experience I wasn't sure what such a small rabbit would eat so I prepared a selection of tasty treats for  him hoping he would start to eat and drink, I thought the shock of the experience would kill him but he's obviously made of stronger stuff!


He couldn't stay in the small box but as I'm against any form of cages for animals I was struggling to come up with a suitable solution which was made more difficult with the dogs. While I thought what to do I made him a temporary house in a bigger box with the stuffing from an old pillow for a bed and straw and hay he could use to burrow in. I also thought he would like some grass so I dug up a patch of grass and put that in too!


Within a couple of days he was completely recovered and going from strength to strength and although his legs are not 100% he is doing great. The fact he was a wild animal was there for all to see and although he was lovely to cuddle and hold he did not belong with me. He was able to run and hop a couple of days later and as the sun started to shine and the weather improved I knew his permanent place was back in the great outdoors.



I decided the dogs would have to be kept inside for a day while the little bunny made his escape! I have become quite attached to him but the time was right and I cannot describe the lovely feeling I got when I said Farewell to him, put him in a quiet part of the field with lots of hiding places and watched as he turned and went back home.


RUN FREE!

No comments: